View Single Post
Old 01-13-2014, 07:02 PM

Congrats on your course of action...the Pars defect injection was nothing more than your standard flouroscopic injection to test the fracture site for pain. I got nothing from it. So are you doing a one level or 2-level fusion? I'm working my way over to Spain. I received a Hybrid fusion/ADR recommendation from Dr. Clavel in Spain, fusion at S1 and ADR at L4/5. No surprise there as that was what i was expecting. But, i also have cervical issues which i'm getting addressed right now. I will see a couple docs about that this week, one that does fusions, and one that does both, and get their recommendations. I will also forward my films to Dr. Clavel for his recommendation. If he says it's a go, I'll be going over for a cervical/lumbar procedure in one trip. I asked and he does do both procedures in one time. It's a lot to take on at once, but i'll do my best with it.

The fusion approach he would use is an anterior one, seeing is my lithesis is small and i would already be opened up for an ADR. Until i arrange the conference call, i won't have much more information than that. I called my insurance, and the lady said my insurance bennies are the same here or if i go overseas, but covered at an out-of-network percentage, which for me is 70%. Better than nothing. That's not to say they won't try to bite me on going over there for ADR surgery though.

There have been a couple posters here who had success getting it covered through Dr. Clavel if you have WorldWide BlueCard on your BCBS policy, which i do. Funny thing is, the lady at our office who deals with eligibility, said she is 90% sure i'm only covered for things like "colds", not major surgery. She then transferred me over to a different department for verification. That department made it clear that my benefits did not change going overseas, other than it being out-of-network, and all costs i would have to cover myself, then submit for reimbursement. I am convinced insurance companies are extremely disorganized and mildly retarded.

Feb. 2014 - Hybrid lumbar fusion(l5/S1), ADR(L4/L5)...2-level cervical ADR (C5/C6, C6/C7). Dr. Pablo Clavel of Quiron Hospital in Barcelona, Spain. All M6 implants (PEEK cage and plate from Medtronic at fusion level in lumbar.) SAME DAY OPERATION for both areas of the spine.