View Single Post
Old 10-28-2010, 07:50 AM

Smile Looking for Precedents

Hi everyone! My name is Phil, and I am new to the forum. I decided to post my introduction here, since I'm going to jump right into needs I have related to insurance.

I have multi-level cervical degenerative disc disease and am preparing to battle with my insurance company, BCBS-AL, to cover the cost of going overseas to have M6-C discs implanted. I have not finalized my surgeon choice, but I'm 90% sure at this point. I've been studying, talking to lots of surgeons and patients around the world, participating in multiple forums for several months, and most recently, have been coached by Laurie Todd (http://www.theinsurancewarrior.com) as I prepare my draft appeal.

I know there are patients on this forum that will be able to help me. I'll swim around and find you eventually. In the meantime, I would love to hear from any of you that happen to find me first! Below is my standard, "Help, I need big surgery and can't pay for it" appeal that I have been posting around the net. I provide an email address below, but feel free to PM if that is more convenient.

I look forward to making some new friends here. Have a great day, and don't take too many pain meds!

I am preparing an appeal in anticipation of denial of coverage by my insurance company for artificial disc replacement surgery (ADR). I am collecting information for the precedent section of my appeal. If you were approved by your insurance company for ADR, I would greatly appreciate the following information.
First Name, Last Name
Surgery Date
Diagnosis: e.g. herniated disc at C6/7
Treatment: e.g. ADR at C6/7
Insurance Company that paid
Surgeon that performed ADR
Many ADR patients desperately need this information to support their appeals. If you do not mind me sharing this information with other patients making appeals, please state this in your email. If you would prefer not, I will honor your request and keep the information private. You can forward the information to the following email address.
adrpaidfor@comcast.net
If you would like to communicate with me first to develop a comfort level that I am just a regular guy trying to get what I should from the insurance company and help other patients at the same time, please send a note to the same email address.

Thanks,

Phil