View Single Post
Old 10-01-2008, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
I can only hope that the party that claims they are Pro-Life realizes what life means. It is not just being alive that counts. It means life sustained.

I am always amazed at the talking out of both sides of one's mouth that politicians engage in and I blame them for the mess the health care industry is in. When I hear that a party want's government small, so that States and individuals can have more rights, it reeks of another motive entirely. Let's keep government small, so as to have no oversight and, business can thrive at the expense of people.

As long as profit is king, people will suffer.

I am sorry for the nonsense you've gone through to get your health cared for. Really pays to have insurance when they seem so opposed to your general well being.

Terry Newton
It's a shame what level politics has degenerated to in this country, but there are different views to every problem. In my mind, small government means less expensive so I get to keep more of the money I earn rather than have it taken to be given to someone else. Unfortunately, neither major party is the least bit interested in small government.

As for insurance companies, they can be fired. I changed jobs to see if a new insurance company would mean approval. I realize not every can do that but some simply don't WANT to do it. My new insurance company claims they cover the procedure, we'll find out for certain in a couple of months. I would like to see employees be more proactive in trying to get their employers to move to better insurance companies.

The profit motivator does seem to be hurting the insurance industry. But there are good companies out there that have managed to make money and provide good coverage. But the problem is more than just the insurance companies. Too many people still go to the ER for everything. Everything. That's expensive and wasted money for the insurance company and wasted time for the ER. People do it though because they don't want the inconvenience of making a Dr's appointment or trying to find a walk-in clinic. That or they just don't know better. Ignorance is bliss I suppose. This country also needs malpractice reform. We have a friend who's an anasteatheoligist(sp?) and his malpractice insurance, paid for by the hospital, is several times his salary. That's insane. We also have a friend who was successfully prosecuted on a malpractice claim when the patient died because the patient didn't follow the Dr's advice. The claim was that the advice was not clear and/or forceful enough. People are even suing OB's for malpractice because they unexpectedly had a baby born with down syndrome.

The problem is multi-faceted and there is no single solution to the mess. We can't simply point to insurance companies and scream they're the problem(not saying you are Terry, I just know some people who do). There are problems with Dr's, insurance companies, and patients. I'd be more in favor of a plan that lets us, as consumers, pick and choose our insurance company rather than our employer picking it for us. For instance, states could mandate that any insurance company offering insurance in said state would have to offer insurance as a group plan to the entire state. Employers could still offer an insurance allowance as part of their benefits package, and consumers could pick the company and plan offering that fits their needs. If we could enable that plan(more detailed to be certain) it would allow the better insurance companies to thrive and give us the opportunity to fire them when they suck.

Ok, sorry for the long post and rant off .
In 2005 pain began getting worse.
Diagnosed as DDD in July 2007.
Surgery recommended after 6weeks of PT made the pain worse.
ADR scheduled for Jan 26, 2009. Rescheduled for August 5!
Bryan disc finally FDA approved, and just in time too.
Neck was all jacked up and had to be fused unfortunately.