View Single Post
Old 09-24-2011, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laid up doc View Post
janaya -

i am indeed allergic to nickel, and looked into the out of pocket cost for a TLIF. it was in the 6 figures. prodisc does contain a small amnt of nickel, and i've been advised not to get it. gotta get all of this in writing to construct my appeal. looks like i'll be paying cash for an M6 and hoping i get something back either from aetna or my personal injury suit from the mva...
So is this the uninsured/under insured price-discounted rate that most hospital apply? They typically apply the highest rate to "self-pay" patient but discount anywhere upward of up to 60%. This was the policy of the hospital were I had my surgery and was explained to me prior to signing any financial responsibility documents.

Wow 6 figures for a TLIF!!!!!!! That is approximately 2.5x more than what Aetna paid out for my Prodisc L procedure. The hospital was payed an aggregated (negotiated) lump sum of $37,082 out of a total possible billed amount of $77,147. The independent doctor fees that were paid out were $1,637 to the neurosurgeon, $2,308 to the anesthesiologist, $1,637 for the general surgeon.

The price of a TLIF seems overinflated but am also left wondering if there is justification for this maybe the mere fact that surgical procedure itself is more involved-time consuming and the hospital stay must be a bit longer, but I am only guessing.

?Well with your decision to do the M6 L you are definitely getting better technology and your moneys worth, in my opinion and for what my .02 cents are worth!? (Not clear if this is the route you are taking though)