View Single Post
Old 01-15-2013, 05:00 AM

Default 5 days post-op update

In my last post, I was in a lot of pain, about a 7-7.5. Most I've been in. I was discharged Sat am and Sat pm and all of Sunday were very hard. Monday am Yolanda called & when I told her how I was feeling, she said she would email me a new rx for FORTECORTIN. The hotel front desk printed it for me, I brought it to the closest pharmacy, the pharmacist reached under the counter, handed me a box and 15 Euros (about 21 dollars) later I was out the door. Literally a one minute transaction. The medical system is amazing here. The FORTECORTIN is for me, a miracle drug. It's a steroid that works on bdecreasing inflammation in the nerves. With 3-4 hours, my pain went to a 3.5-4, and it stayed that way most of the day. My husband and I walked to Sagrada familia (about 45 min away), toured it, stopped for tea/coffee (the break was good), then walked back to the hotel to meet Leila. She is a miracle worker! I always feel so much better after her visits. She did the first massage with Fisiocrem that you mentioned, Donna, and then she did a demonstration on Stephan so he'd know how to properly help me. After she left, we again went for a long walk (walking really helps) and ended up at Gresca for dinner. Highly recommend, especially for those who stay at The Mirror as it's just about 3 blocks away. It's been written up in the NYT and was truly an event. It was the first real meal I've eaten and I wasn't that hungry, but portions are small so it was perfect. Make sure you have the egg soufflé with truffles and the spiced chocolate for dessert! I don't eat meat but my husband does so he had their tasting menu which included (among other things) sardines, cod, sweetbreads & pigeon along with a delicious piña colada dessert. I started to fade at dinner - they eat so late here!- and had more pain last night, but was able to sleep after taking a nolotil.
So between the steroid and the 4-5 hours of walking, yesterday went MUCH better. I'll keep you posted as my progress of healing continues. Thank you for all your support & well wishes!
2-level cervical ADR (c 3/4 & c 4/5) with Dr. Clavel in Barcelona on January 10, 2013