View Single Post
Old 09-28-2010, 11:02 PM

Hey Maddie,

Thanks for reaching out and sharing your experiences -- I'm so glad to hear that you are doing so well!! I'm pretty sure I read your story at one point while I was doing some research on here. While I'm sure it was an incredibly frustrating and emotionally draining journey for you, it sounds like things really worked out for the best -- and hopefully will continue to move in a positive direction for you in the future.

Yeah, I really liked Dr. Bitan. Most of the docs I have met with in the states have proposed a 2 level fusion -- and one said he would do a 4 level fusion given that things are pretty bad at 3/4 and 4/5 also. Dr. Bitan and Dr. Mummaneni at UCSF both proposed the hybrid with the ADR at 5/6 and the fusion at 6/7 (which is the really, really messed up level for me) -- which seems like a sensible approach, although I agree with you that it seems to be largely driven by the current state of insurance approval in the US. My big concern now is the disc, and whether or not the ProDisc-C is really going to help delay the need for additional surgery in the next couple of years.

I've reached out to Stenum and Dr. Nick Boeree, since both are using the M6 disc -- which I really like the overall design of quite a bit. However, I still have some apprehension about going overseas for surgery -- especially since I am very likely going to need additional surgeries in the near future. But at the same time, I want to be as sure as I can be (in this type of situation) that the disc I'm choosing gives me the best chance for longer-term success given the problems at so many levels in my neck.

Tough, tough decision... but hopefully one that I will figure out in the next couple of weeks! Thanks again for sharing your experience, especially as it relates to the progress you've made in recovery -- that is definitely very encouraging and gives me some hope!!

Talk to you soon,

Scott
Cord compression is starting to affect my legs and movement, nerve pain has increased
Need to find a surgeon soon, hopefully not a two-level fusion