View Single Post
Old 01-23-2005, 03:35 PM

I agree with queenofhearts - if you itemize your deductions, you can deduct all eligible medical expenses in excess of 7.5% of your gross annual ajusted income. I'd surf over to the IRS web-page and review their publication on medical deductions. The last time I reviewed it, medical travel expenses (airfare, train, parking, mileage to the airport, taxis, etc) were fully deductible, hotel was deductible up to 50$ per night, food was not deductible, all medical expenses including services and durable goods were fully deductible. KEEP ALL YOUR RECEIPTS!!! No receipt, no deduction. I just returned from a trip to the AK for knee surgery and have paid about $15,000 USD with no insurance coverage, so, I'll be reviewing the medical deductions tax laws too.

By the way, if you can do it, be sure to sock away the max amount in your pre-tax medical flex spending account at work (if you've got one). This permits pre-tax payment of medical expenses that don't meet the 7.5% limit.
General joint hypermobility

Jim - C4/5, C5/6, L4/5 disk bulges and facet damage, L4/5 disk tears, currently using regenerative medicine to address

"There are many Annapurnas in the lives of men" Maurice Herzog