Thread: bicycling
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2007, 03:50 PM

Hi Terry,

I still have some distraction pains, but they have a very typical pattern that I have learned to deal with. When I have them it is always in the morning and they always are gone by 10:00 AM. They make me uncomfortable, but are not worth wasting the rest of the day dealing with the side effects of muscle relaxers. The only other remarkable event for me was when I had a car pull out in front of me while I was in a bike lane rolling along at 17mph. I had to lay my bike down and ended up doing a baseball slide under the guys Land Rover. It was bizzare being under the vehicle and watching the wheels stop rolling. The slide took all the fur off my right hip, leg, and arm and the doctor was concerned that I might develop avascular necrosis in the hip joint, but everything has seemed to heal well. It is interesting that I could hit so hard on my hip and not have any symptoms in the lumbar area. That says alot for motion preservation. Kayaking is the only activity that I really don't care to do as much as pre-ADR. I spent a morning as a safty kayaker for an open water swim event and ran into some old friends that just happend to doing a day float down the Clark Fork the next day. That was a little over doing things and I paid the price for a couple of days, but it let me know my limits and I have backed out of a scheduled 5 day trip down the Middle Fork of the Salmon Sept 5. I don't think that would be a big deal if I had a cataraft, but I have no need to push my limits. Life is good.

Take Care!
Grizz