View Single Post
Old 01-08-2018, 02:29 AM

I'm a veterinarian... and while I'm no expert on the human ramifications, what I said above is cutting edge from a cat medicine expert at a university. Unpublished, but his statement verbatim. I won't name him so as not to get anyone in trouble. Without flea infestation, cats infected with Bartonella could not transmit.

By the way, maybe there is confusion about which Bartonella species? I was specifically referring to henselae, from "cat scratch fever."

From the CDC:
Cat scratch disease (CSD), Bartonella henselae
People can get CSD from the scratches of domestic or feral cats, particularly kittens. The disease occurs most frequently in children under 15. Cats can harbor infected fleas that carry Bartonella bacteria. These bacteria can be transmitted from a cat to a person during a scratch. Some evidence suggests that CSD may be transmitted directly to humans by the bite of infected cat fleas, although this has not been proven.

CSD occurs worldwide and may be present wherever cats are found. Stray cats may be more likely than pets to carry Bartonella. In the United States, most cases of CSD occur in the fall and winter.

Ticks may carry some species of Bartonella bacteria, but there is currently no convincing evidence that ticks can transmit Bartonella infection to humans.
May 2016: start of more severe, frequent episodes
October 2017: start of constant mild to moderate disability and moderate to severe pain
Multiple US doctors shrug their shoulders and basically can't help, dismiss ADR as valid option
December 2017: Found ADR Support forum, start pursuing consultation
February 2018: surgery with Dr. Clavel at Hospital Quiron using Spinal Kinetics M6-L