Thread: CMAC - My Story
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2008, 08:08 PM

Well, I'll have to say first, that I am very glad I stumbled across this website during my many recent nights of relentless research. It has been great reading everyone's story, and I now feel like I am not alone. I was in a motor vehicle accident on Nov 12, 2007. As a result, I found myself first battling whiplash with major neck and back pain, but luckily no broken bones. Being the rebel and thrill seeker I have always been, I figured a couple days and I would be back up and running again. Unfortunately, my body disagreed and now over 5 months, I am on the verge of what I would consider major surgery. When I was first injured, the drs followed the standard protocol of meds, rest, and then physical therapy. I quickly knew something was wrong, but I had to go through the steps most insurance companies require as we all go through the healing process. Several weeks after the accident, I went to my first PT session. I ended up having a tremendous amount of pain in my neck down to the middle of my back. My blood pressure dropped extremely low which caused a lot of concern for the therapist I was seeing. To make a long story short, I finally had an MRI which showed bulging discs in my neck at c4-5 & c5-6 & a herniated disc at c6-7. The Drs did not see any major compression of my spinal cord or nerves, but I continued having a deep aching pain (sometimes sharp) in my neck, radiating down to the middle of my back and shoulder blades. Once the pain persists and inflames my nerves, I start having episodes of pain down my upper arm and my left hand has occasional numbness. I was actually surprised that my injuries were in my neck, since I was almost sure I had damage in my thoracic area due to the pain I was having.

After my MRI results, my Dr seemed to move a little more aggressively. I had 2 epidural steroid injections in my neck, but to no avail, they were unsuccessful. Since this wasn't effective, he referred me to an orthopedic surgeon who basically gave me three choices. 1 - live with the pain. 2 - Anterior Cervical Discography and fusion (ACDF), 3 - Artificial Disc Replacement (ADR). To help with a decision, he recommended a discogram to confirm the pain source and help pinpoint the damaged discs. I had the discogram last Thursday; definitely, not a fun procedure, but I think it really helped me decide that I need to move forward with surgical intervention to help me get back on a road to recovery. I have an appt. with the Orthopedic surgeon this Friday to review my discogram results and discuss/schedule my surgery.

In an earlier appointment, the Dr. mentioned that because of my age (37), good health, and only one level of damage(c6-7) I was a good candidate for ADR. This site has really given me a lot of insight on the procedure itself, and the expected outcome, should I take this route. From all that I have read, I am definitely set on this procedure over fusion and am ready to confirm this with the Dr on Friday. Actually, I am so set on this, that I would be devastated if it turns out this isn't an option and my only choice is fusion. I will just wait to see before I get too worked up about it. Although, just like this whole process, it is easy to start thinking way ahead of myself and getting too worked up, anxious, excited, and frustrated before I really know what will happen next!

Anyway, I have been reading everyone's story, looking for feedback, encouragement, and light at the end of this tunnel that one day I will feel normal again. The most difficult part of this whole ordeal has been dealing with the fact that I can't do the things I was doing before the accident. I was just playing in my first season of an organized singles tennis league, working out on a regular basis and running several nights a week. This has all come to a screeching halt since then, and I have become depressed that I can't exercise or live a normal life. I can't even pick up my kids without paying for it dearly afterwards, and more recently, I feel like my radicular pain has escalated and is even affecting my right side now, when initially it was just my left.

Sorry, I am babbling now, but I was compelled to create an account and tell my story. I feel like I still have a long road ahead of me and that a forum like this will be important as I work through the recovery process. I know my injuries pale in comparison to some members here, but we are all affected and need support and encouragement along the way. I appreciate the level of support you have provided to many who have stumbled across this website as I have, and I hope to communicate with you in my journey ahead. One day, I also hope to be able to reciprocate by sharing my experience and encouragement to others in need.

I will keep posting updates as I move ahead and expect to have a better timeline after my appointment on Friday.

Thanks for listening and allowing me to share...

Cmac
2 bulging discs - c4-5 & c5-6
Herniated disc - c6-7
conservative treatments/procedures: meds, PT, 2 epis, positive concordant discogram
ADR ProDisc - C @ C6-C7 May 6, 2008
Paralyzed Left vocal cord - d