View Single Post
Old 07-16-2010, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbrand View Post
Eskimo,

Thanks for the advice, information and guidance!

Not too sure how much disc height I have left--it is almost bone on bone though.

I was more concerned with future facet joint pain. I hear this is the 800 Lb Gorilla with ADR (fusion's being increased stress at adjacent levels that rapidly destroys those discs) and I can't find ANY studies anywhere that tell how many and when ADR patients start to get facet joint pain from the excessive movement ADRs cause. Any info in this respect Eskimo (or ANYONE reading this?) Thanks. Matt
There has been some suggestion that it is worse at the L5-S1 level, that it is worse for multi-level surgery and it is worse for those with significant degeneration at the time of surgery.

If your disc space is that obliterated, the limited evidence suggests that a hybrid surgery may be best for you if the superior levels are definite pain generators.

Anyhow, it is certainly something to investigate thoroughly before going under the knife.
Pain worsened 12/08
Discogram 03/09 with no pain at L5/S1, concordant pain at L4/5, severe but not usual pain at L3/4
ADR with aMav discs L4/5 and L5/S1 02/10
Recurrent pain 05/10
Current plan to try pilates