Thread: Another newbie
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2011, 10:08 PM

tumblebug,

I hate that you're having this kind of problem at only 27 years of age, but welcome.

I've had two cervical fusions in two different surgeries, and then a double cervical ADR in yet another surgery. All of my recoveries went pretty easily; I was 38, 40 and 47 for those surgeries.

I had no problem lifting and holding 40 lbs in the days after surgery (which I did twice). But it was dead weight each time; a squirming toddler is quite another thing, a much more difficult thing. I would imagine managing an active toddler is going to be a challenge for the first two or three weeks. I know that your surgeon is going to tell you not to pick him/her up for ... eight weeks. Barring an emergency, I would encourage you to comply as best you can.

Clear it with your surgeon, but I had no issue in dealing with the daily tasks; garbage, groceries, etc...

After the fusions the surgeon told me not to even ride in a car for two weeks. This was not because driving was bad for my condition, but because an accident before the bones began to grow together could have resulted in more surgery, or even worse. My ADR surgeon didn't say a word about driving in an automobile, so I did about a week after surgery. I'm certain that the driving rule will vary with surgeon; it did with my two.

After the fusions my surgeon didn't want me to go back to work for 2-6 weeks; I'm an engineer and use a computer, oscilloscope, spectrum analyzer, etc... all day. Both times I went back after two weeks. He gave me the option of six weeks because he said that sitting at a computer all day is quite a strain on the neck. The ADR surgeon gave me no guide lines and I was back at work in a little less than two weeks.

Who is your surgeon? Where will your surgery be?

Good luck, Jeff
Conceded defeat to a manifestly disingenuous BCBS-TX in my quest for reimbursement, Jan 2011