View Single Post
Old 02-25-2012, 03:28 PM

Default L5-S1 Herniated Disc, 9 months post C6-C7 ADR

Back again... This time with Lumbar Disc Herniation L5-S1. I am 9 months post my Cervical ADR (C6-C7 with Prodisc C done in Tampa, FL) and still doing great (with my neck). My lower back is completely another issue...

After my 3rd episode of "throwing my back out" where I literally could not get out of bed, I went to the spine surgeon. I had visited an urgent care which did X-Rays showing nothing but a mild loss of Disc height at L5-S1. I also visited a Chiropractor who said that I really need an MRI. Back to trying to get an appointment with a Spine Doc. Wend online and searched my new area (I have just relocated for work from Tampa to New Orleans, LA) for spine docs. Actually used Medtronic's Prestige website for the search, as if a doc is listed on thier site, they are at least trained in ADR's and am not going to have to see someone who only does and understands fusions. Went to new doc (very nice and personable) and discussed my history (C6-C7 ADR) and my new problems. At this point had pain radiating in my buttocks and beginning down my leg. I asked him to order an MRI, as I really felt like something was wrong. Sure enough, L5-S1 is herniated and compressing nerves in both legs (herniated almost dead center of the spinal column and black)...

Now for the course of action... Headed for bilateral ESI @ S1, but am somewhat perplexed with where to go next. I have done extensive research and am looking for some insight from this board... Assuming the ESI does provide temporary relief, it clearly does not address the anatomical issue at hand. I have also read that multiple ESI can lead to scarring which can make surgical lumbar (ADR) much more difficult to impossible in some cases. The other option that he offered is a microdiscectomy to remove just the herniated portion of the disc to provide relief from the imeingement on the spinal cord. Although this is the least invasive choice, it still does not correct the anatomical problem and depending on the scarring may eliminate ADR as a future choice. Both feel like short term solutions to a long term problem...

I would love to hear from others and how you went through your decision making process. Coverage for a lumbar disc replacement may be challenging with my insurance carrier, BCBS of IL. Although they did cover my cervial ADR though. As much as I am a personal fan of doing things locally, I think that I may need to travel with this case if I end up going the ADR route, as VERY few are done locally in the New Orleans market...

Thank you in advance...
41 y/o Male, Successful Disc Arthroplasty Procedure (Prodisc C in Tampa, FL) with excellent outcome June 2011... January 2012 had 3rd episode of "throwing out my back", Lumbar Pain radiating down buttocks and into both legs, MRI shows centrally Herniated L5-S1, Bilateral S1 ESI scheduled beginning March 2012...