View Single Post
Old 03-15-2012, 02:10 PM

Red face This is why the call medicine "A practice"...no one really knows what they are doing!

Dr. Rushton does not do cervical ADRs... therefore for future reference, at least as of 3-2012, no one at 3B does cervical ADRs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jburdman7 View Post
I FAXed my records to Thomas Jefferson Hospital in Philly. Both their Neuro and Ortho have ADR surgeons. I'm waiting to see what they say.
Nope they lied. TJ's neuro does NOT do ADRs. They send them to their ortho. I went to see Dr Jeff Jallo who could tell I was informed on the subject. He told me "I knew too much." It came up that he doesnt believe bone wax inhibits bone growth. He told me it only stops bone bleeding. Two seconds on the internet will yield rat studies showing inhibited bone growth but I didnt get into it with him. He seemed more interested in saying nothing so he could not be found wrong. He wouldnt even talk about the pros and cons of the options given. Cant wait to see what his bill is.

There is a consensus forming that an posterior foraminotomy will do the trick. Hershey is the one that sent me on this anterior ADR path. They also pushed the spur diagnosis. Hershey I think knew what my problem was but used all the wrong words for it . It turns out that there is a C6,7 bulge (worst of my problem) and a rare posterior "spur" called "calcification of the ligamentum flavum" at C7,T1. No one but Hershey has thought an ADR was necessary. I dont know if Hershey wants to play with ADRs or if cutting (and stitching) the two muscles to do the posterior is a big deal or if they are thinking like I am a car and should put a new disc in while were in there or what. Everyone else says the disk spacing is fine and it is a reasonable option that the disk stay.

I was avoiding the doc who did a good job on my L5-S1 since I thought I needed an ADR and I know he doesnt do them... but since that changed...
He was very confident that an anterior foraminotomy / microdiscectomy will do the trick and he would clean out the 'spur' while he is in there.
I know he did a great job on my back but its a bit creepy since Dr. Powers just operated on my neighbor's neck and they now complain of debilitating arm pain. I shouldnt let that bother me I know.

I scheduled the operation with Dr. Powers but I have not canceled TJ's ortho (US News hospital ranks#14 in the country for Ortho.)
I dont know if I need yet another opinion (which is a day trip to another dept of "I dont know anything kuz you are too smart.") Things are finally jelling. I think!
UPDATE: No doc since the first surgeon has recommended an ADR. It now looks like I am up for another microdiscectomy / foraminotomy
I'm certain I am not the last for such a diagnosis change so we can all still learn from each others experiences!