View Single Post
Old 03-15-2012, 03:15 PM

Huh... that's interesting that you found out nobody at 3B does cervical ADR seeing as how a guy I know spoke to Dr. Rushton specifically about his cervical spine about 10 yrs ago now and the only reason Dr. Rushton wouldn't go down that path was because he was a two level patient at the time and there weren't even two level studies being done at the time let alone potential insurance approval, etc.

I recall at the time of my own search for surgical help, Dr. Rushton just wasn't taking on non-surgical candidates and my MRI report was written as if I wasn't a surgical candidate despite the images showing otherwise.

That's really bizarre that your consult went so poorly just because you had a clue what you were talking about. It's amazing how some docs seem to frown upon people being informed patients. I ran into that prior to the c-section birth of my son in which the head doc in the practice actually told me to stop reading because it would only worry me more.

You may want to double check on the fact that even though disc spacing is fine in your spine, that there isn't still a herniation causing the pain issues. I only say that because I think in some ways, that's part of why my original primary care doc blew me off after the x-ray I had. My L5/S1 disc space was just fine but I had a herniation centrally putting pressure on the nerves. Thankfully, I took care of it when I did otherwise I'd probably have started getting some real nerve damage as the issue worsened.

The guy I know that I mentioned previously, tried all kinds of stuff with his cervical spine before getting a double fusion, including going to a chiropractor. In the end, he probably waited too long to fuse because he has nerve damage which causes his one leg to react sluggishly now. It's definitely a fine line to balance on when it comes to these sorts of decisions. On one hand, you want to preserve the natural disc as long as possible and hopefully avoid a major surgery, but on the other hand, you don't want to wait too long and wind up with other lingering issues.

Good luck! Hopefully the surgery you have lined up will do the trick for you! Thanks for updating with the info on 3B's cervical ADR stance too. Definitely good info to have. I can only speak from the lumbar perspective.

~Sara

- Did mild PT, some chiropractics and self regulated pain management since initial sports injury in Spring 1997.
- XRay and Bone Scan Jan/Feb 2007
- PT March to May 2007
- MRI Jan 2008
- Disco positive at L5/S1 Feb 2008
- ADR surgery at L5/S1 on June 23rd 2008 - Prodisc
- Recovery - so far so good!