View Single Post
Old 05-18-2011, 11:31 AM

Just to be clear, i never had pain before 09...i had no idea i had any issues until that morning...frankly i thought this was all a pinched nerve until the MRI occurred.

My Chiro is a friend...well more like a customer, as i run comic book conventions on the side here...which likely agrivated this condition, as comic boxes tend to run in the 40-60lb range, and i tend to take 60+ to a show.

All he ever did was manipulate a muscle or nerve group in my shoulder or lower neck, "tap, tap" basically...and some pressure...and BAM...no more pain for month(s) at a time (i was told it was a muscle spasm that caused that initial neck pain as those X-rays were clear)....until it didnt work near the end of last year, so he brought a portable table...worked on me for about 40 min...and when i told him it hurt more afterward, well he looked worried and said i needed to see a doctor about x-rays/MRI.

The real pain did not start until after they put me on gabapentin, not sure if there is a link, or if it just worked out as perfect timing...but dear lord it was bad for a bit there this year. That said, my Neurologist thought it was carple tunnel originally...that MRI changed that opinion fast, and now i have everyone telling me i need a discectomy, but the idea of fusion at 31 and the eventual debilitation (i also have a bulge forming at C4/C5) are something i refuse to accept.

That said...when i mentioned ADR to my initial surgeon, i got the soft "great idea, yep, i would do that in your shoes....look into that, Oh and Good Luck!; cause i dont do them..." speech. I proceeded to call the co-chief of medicine at his hospital, who had taken part in the Prestige study, and 2 weeks later now still have not heard when he will see me as "he need the hospitals approval before hand."

Meanwhile i was going to contact Dr. Balterston in Philly...but i learned he just lost his license in NJ due to the Pro-Disc lawsuit and ethical violations on his part...and i am left wondering just who i can trust to discuss these things and get a perspective on what the best device is.

Bottom line is this: I will go anywhere, and spend whatever, to ensure i have a functional future free of pain...i just need some advice!
-May 2011 - Neurosurgeon recommended disectomy/fusion - here seeking alternative