View Single Post
Old 10-29-2013, 08:45 AM

Hi Soreneck,

I know that your surgery is coming up in another week and I'm sure you are experiencing those same feelings of "what am I doing?" You really are putting your faith in someone you haven't met and basing your decision upon some internet research and our forum. Your feelings are justified. I felt this way and started second guessing my decision because my symptoms subsided - but only to reappear the day before surgery (good timing).
I can assure you that once you meet with Dr. Bierstedt...those feelings will subside. In most cases, patients may only meet with their surgeon briefly and their diagnosis and treatment plan is based upon the diagnostic reports.
I have NEVER done so much research about surgeons and surgical methods in my life. I've always proceeded on blind faith and trust that the US medical methods were the most progressive - I learned that I had to be my own advocate - which I think is a great life lesson in any important decision. My experience with Dr. Bierstedt was extremely positive, comfortable, and I felt that he addressed every issue I had (even if it was lame) with professionalism. I did not feel "pushed" into an unnecessary procedure.....my symptoms did that for me. My surgery was successful up to the point where I am (6 weeks post-op). I'm actually learning how to move again. I have mobility and flexibility and my muscles are waking up again - this was the only pain I have encountered since the surgery - but it is a good one.

I'm not sure if you will find a specific patient from the UK (you might be able to get some references through Malte), but you certainly can read a number of past patients on this site.
C4/5 central and rightward bulging of disc and osteophyte causing mild right neural foramen stenosis narrowing and right lateral recess narrowing
C6/7 Central disc bulging and osteophyte and hypertrophy of ligamentum flavum canal stenosis and narrowing of bilateral neural foramina
Sept 9, 2013 Scheduled with Dr. Bierstedt C4/5 & C6/7 M6