View Single Post
Old 10-06-2008, 11:14 AM
Administrator

Hi Terra, I sent you a PM (private message). I hope your appointment went well.

BTW: I was looking into this condition for another reason, this article talks about possible root causes (for long bones):

Osteomyelitis is defined as infection in bone. The root words osteon (bone) and myelo (marrow) are combined with itis (inflammation) to define the clinical state in which bone is infected with microorganisms. Osteomyelitis in long bones includes infections that differ from one another with regard to duration, etiology, pathogenesis, extent of bone involvement, and type of patient (which can be an infant, child, adult, or compromised or uncompromised host). In the past thirty years, the pathogenesis of this disease has almost been clarified, and many factors that account for the persistence of infection have been identified. A number of antimicrobial agents, with different spectrums of activity against pathogens and different pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics, have been used to treat osteomyelitis. New operative methods, including the use of muscle flaps, the Ilizarov technique, and antibiotic-loaded beads, have been applied to the field of bone infection. Despite many advances, osteomyelitis remains difficult to treat, and the cure rates are still unsatisfactory.

Full article is here: http://www.ejbjs.org/cgi/content/full/86/10/2305
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate