View Single Post
Old 10-10-2008, 03:24 AM

Default neurosurgeon phone conf.

The discussion went well with my Neurosurgeon. First time really a surgeon or any physician sat down and reviewed my images with me although he was 400 miles away! Still this time between appointments benefited me in that I was prepared with informed questions and fortunately this surgeon is a good listener.

We started with my head. I have chronic headaches since the craniotomy procedures. I knew I did not have anything acute to worry about but I asked why I still get enhancement where I'd had all the surgeries on my cranium. He said this was likely scarring. Then I asked if th scarring is now stuck to my dura causing pain. At first he said he did not think so but then he thought this thru and ask me a few questions and decided it could be possible the temporalis muscle maybe stuck between my scar tissue and the dura to my brain causing the pain problems.

I do have several levels with spondylolisthesis. Its between C4-C5 that is almost certainly moving after I asked if any of the levels are not stable. In my experience w/spondylolisthesis neither the radiologist or surgeons or anyone offer this information up unless YOU ask. I asked what the measurement is as its not like with lumbar where they worry about it being 25% or 50% misaligned from the adjacent vertebra. The C4 to 5 measures 4mm, which is pretty significant for a cervical spondylolisthesis due to the spinal canal. A lumbar region spondylolisthesis is not as delicate as the neck because the spinal canal end near L-1 but the cervical vertebra has the spinal cord to contend with if there is movement its likely going to affect the spinal cord. With this spondylolisthesis not being stable I'm not certain I'd be able to get a ADR.

So this surgeon whom has now operated on me 4 times is proposing we start with my head and deal with the mucsle dura (surrounds the brain) thing and place a titanium plate where the skull bone once was. I have a defect on the side of my head with no bone. He'd have the ENT surgeon place a BAHA implant in the mastoid bone while he places the implant. This implant is the first part towards implanting a hearing device as I became deaf in the right ear with the cranial surgeries. Before I have these operations they'd test my cervical spine, see if I have nerve root issues etc. If I need or decide to have a type of cervical surgery (I did not talk about ADR) I coome back at a different time.

Anyway the surgeon had his assistant call me back. He then proceeded to tell me their facility currently does not have a contract with my insurance company-- they are in negotiations! They'd been in negotiations last spring and then dropped it and have just recently reconveaned. (sp?) Now we can't set up the appointments until there's a contract.

Boy I don't often tear up but this choked me up. I'd been working so hard to get answers and get out of this horrible nightmare of a hole I've been in. The day I'd flown to see my surgeon in June was the day he himself became disabled and could not return to work for 3 months. So I've waited on him to dictate a note to authorize the MRI and other imaging. Not to mention spending 4 years dealing with local medical professionals whom are clueless regarding my needs as my history is now so esoteric. Hopefully they'll sign the contract soon. Meanwhile I'll see what my primary care physician says about all this. He may even send me to other surgeons to see what they have to say. From reading everyone's journeys I can see we are all in our prime and are interested in getting our lives back. After all these surgeries in my past, I'm starting to wonder how all this will affect me long term. Right now I'm taking MS contin 3 times per day, which is a long acting morphine. You have to figure long term these meds or the surgery may affect your longevity in either case.

Last edited by Terra; 10-10-2008 at 03:29 AM.