View Single Post
Old 05-16-2009, 11:59 AM

Hey Rob,
my first symptoms of pain happened on 4/10/09, with pain in neck and rt arm, over next few days pain was worse and then slight weakness in right arm at wrist and abduction at shoulder and some weakness at biceps. Got the surgery done on 5/6/09, which was 20 days after my first MRI. the radiating pain of the right arm has almost disappeared, but the weakness is still there and I do expect it to take some time as every1 says it takes at least 6-12 weeks to recover. I have not noticed any appreciable atrophy of the muscles so far - may be its early, but this is just such a frustrating feeling to know that your dominant hand is weaker than it used to be, it fatigues so easily, unable to do many things which it could do without having to rest and besides that not knowing whether or not and if it will - how much will recover?
I do understand you have had similar problems and I wanted to ask you that :
1) Since your surgery, have you noticed any improvement in the muscle power.
2) What kind of expectations have been set by your doctor for the recovery of muscle power - I did notice that your doctor said - the weakness is not noticeable easily - Ya I know - to him it is not - but to you, it is since its your hand.
3) Have you thought of or Do you know of any other means (exercise, PT, Supplements etc.) to help improve the chances of gaining back the muscle power we have lost, besides the fact that we underwent surgery to give it the best shot at recovery? I have not been suggested any PT by my doctor and I do believe he is a terrific spine surgeon. What's your take on this?

awaiting some insight from you
BTW, I am an internist in training, planning to go back to work next week. ( I have been on leave for last 5 weeks)

April 09 - Right side neck and arm pain with weakness of rt arm at biceps and wrist extension.
MRI: C5-6 Right parasaggital disc herniation, protrusion type, extending into neural foramina.
5/6/2009: microendoscopic post cervical foraminotmy and microdiscectomy.
No trauma, only risk factors besides aging J
-Smoking - though I had quit 4 weeks prior to onset of symptoms - Ch*****worked
- BMI 25.6