View Single Post
Old 03-22-2006, 10:12 PM

so now I wait....and wait to see if Liberty Mutual WC will let me choose a doctor with signifigant experience( I'd say 100+ disc replacements is a nice round number) The IME doctor, Dr. Vaccaro has done 10 disc procedures. He prefers the Charite over the Maverick because of the keel (he called it the "fin". He also said to hold out as long as I can for the next generation discs to come out.
Any new rumors on that?
I can't wait any longer and would really like an operation in June and to be recovering in July & August. He also said to be wary of "cheerleader" doctors and to be careful to find the right doctor. Because he does the Charite, he recommended a Charite.
Will I have a problem if I want a Prodisc or Maverick?
Do insurance companies dismiss doctors based on the disc they do?
Liberty Mutuals WC "in-network" doctors have little ADR experience.
How hard is it to diplomaticly get ins. co's to go out of network?

My short list includes Dr. Hallett Mathews of Virginia, Dr. Yue of Connecticut, Dr. Bitan (although he does the Charite, he is the best Charite Dr. in NY) So I think this is good news because now I can put pressure on the ins co. to do something. I left Philadelphia very happy yesterday, especially after seeing the "Body Worlds" exhibit at the Franklin Institute of Science where they have cadavers sliced up into some kind of art/science project. I was able to look right inside people's bodys and see the spine, the nerves, the veins, the discs ect... on a close up scale that you couldn't imagine. If you ever get a chance to see this exhibit, it is amazing for a spiney to look at crossections of spines and backs.
Epidurals and facet injections
5/15/06 Discogram confirmed L4-L5 DDD also an asymptomatic L5-S1 tear
10/24/06 L4-L5 Prodisc surgery with Dr. Goldstein
CAT scans & X-Rays show ossification
Trigger Point Injections, Medial Branch Blocks, Acupuncture, Weekly Deep Tissue Massage
10/27/08 Discogram (positive L5-S1 tear)
11/25/08 L5-S1 fusion with Dr. Goldstein
FAILED BACK SYNDROME
Liberty Mutual WC