View Single Post
Old 03-08-2015, 01:37 PM

Default Following the same path

I'm so sorry you had to cancel your ADR in the states! I can imagine how frustrating that must have been

Since we are following the same path (I think I'm just a little behind you,) I thought I would introduce myself. I'm a 50 plus year old looking at Europe for cervical ADR (probably two levels) because I don't think I can wait through a lengthy appeal process with the insurance company. Also, Europe is so far ahead of the U.S., I feel like if I'm going to have surgery again, I want to make sure I give myself the best shot at a recovery. I haven't ruled out the U.S. yet but, am not confident the surgeons will tell me what I want to hear. I am adamantly against fusion.

In an email last week, Malte said that Dr. Bierstedt stopped using the ProDisc "some 8 years ago." I just got my package to them on Friday and am waiting for a consult with the surgeon still.

The other surgeons I have on my list to contact now are Dr. Clavel (Spain), Dr. Dare (UK) and Dr. Zeegers (Germany). I contacted Dr. Bertagnoli's U.S. liaison but, have ruled them out since he is using a Prodisc-C Novas. I didn't feel like they would be a good fit for me. I'm not sure if I have metal allergies so, will have to get that checked. Sorry you had to be the one to bring that to my attention...but, THANK YOU! I'm extremely sensitive to medications, anesthesia and adhesives so, it's definitely worth checking out!

One of my questions for the surgeons is re data on the HO rate for the M6-C as I have not found any. Perhaps it's too new? Here is some information I have in my notes:
Heterotopic Ossification:
http://dev-journals.lww.com/spinejou...otopic.11.aspx
Results. Each prosthesis group included patients as follows: Bryan disc, 81 patients; Mobi-C, 61 patients; and ProDisc-C, 28 patients. Overall HO rate was 40.6% (69 of 170 patients). Each HO occurrence rate by prosthesis was as follows:
Bryan disc group, 21.0%;
Mobi-C group, 52.5%;
ProDisc-C group, 71.4%.
The surgeons are using wax or something like that now to help mitigate the problem.

Romakis seems to also be at about the same place we are in this process. I'm following your posts and hoping you both find your solutions soon!
2016 more RFAs, hit the 10 year mark of this insanity and pain, 3 level M6-C ADR with Dr. Clavel May 19, 2016

Last edited by Cynlite; 03-09-2015 at 02:05 AM.