View Single Post
Old 03-09-2015, 03:43 AM

Cool Heterotopic Ossification in Cervical ADR surgeries

Wow! I just read that abstract from the journal "Spine" you gave the link to and that is fascinating...I am not very familiar with the cervical ADR research as I've focused primarily on the lumbar spine. Have you read much on the HO in the lumbar spine? I would agree about Dr. Bertagnoli, b/c he fathered the prodisc, I understand he primarily puts that in patients and so I have ruled him out as well b/c of my metal allergies. I would highly recommend!! getting a patch allergy test to test for allergies if you a highly sensitive person (if it was me and I had to do this all over again, I would do it no matter what, it only was about $300 out of pocket with my 20% co-pay to find out what I can and can't tolerate in my body). My surgery was probably going to cost about $150k US (with insurance paying most of it) so somehow $300 doesn't seem like much compared to that...not to mention the prodisc can be VERY difficult I've read to remove from the spine or Dr. Bierstedt said even NOT possible b/c of it wide keel, etc. which doesn't bode well if you are allergic to something in it and its been anchored in your spine....Let me know how your consult goes with the ONZ surgeons if you will. I also need to make contact with Dr. Clavel but haven't heard back via email yet, I guess I need to call. I heard from another forum post that Dr. Zeegers is on the edge of retirement but I have no idea, maybe he works part-time now, I've heard he's also very good. I can tell you that I have emailed with 2 patients that have had the cervical spine ADR and also been able to talk with one lady that is 43 and also lives in Alaska (and had nickel allergies) who went to Germany for a 2 level ADR (cervical) with the ONZ group and all 3 of them have given me excellent reports on the ONZ group. One thing you may want to ask when you call these places is if they have a rehabilitation/massage/etc component following your surgery/hospital stay. One of the primary reasons that the lady I talked with in Alaska chose Dr. B___ over Dr. Clavel in Spain was b/c of Medicos, the rehab facility that is all paid for (one week) with your two week package and includes PT, OT, a Rehabilitation Doctor, wound care/check-ups, oh and massage therapy too. Keep me posted and yes it does seem Romakis is about at the same decision making process we are..nice to know there are others out there. This is hard time for me and I CAN'T WAIT to make a decision on WHEN I'm going. My 2nd opinion in the US March 20th and I hope to decide that following weekend where I'm headed. Also, did you know that Spinal Kinetics has a clinical trial right now on the M6 for the cervical spine but I'm not sure if its only single level.
Discography-Sept. 2014
L3/L4: Moderate-Severe DDD, annular tear, 3 leaks, reactive endplate changes, osteophytes, mod.height loss, no disc signal.
L4/L5: Mod.DDD, large annular tear, no disc signal. Posterior leak into spinal canal.
Metal Allergies: Nickel plus 3 others
Cancelled 2 level ADR or hybrid surgery -1/15/15
37 year old active mom