View Single Post
Old 12-14-2008, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
I agree that BC/BS is attempting to be the main controller of insurance in America. They pretty much have a monopoly in Michigan and are trying some legal maneuvering currently to get the rest of the self-insured market. Ours, in Michigan, is a non-profit Blue Cross.

I am opposed to universal health care. I would hope that people are mandated to have insurance based on a sliding fee scale. If everyone had insurance the price should drop significantly. A sliding fee scale and subsidizing for low-income folks means that government could get rid of the Medicaid system if this is worked right. Right now employers who pay for insurance for their employees are paying massive premiums to cover the under-insured and uninsured. This is forcing many employers to drop coverage all together forcing many more Americans in to the ranks of the uninsured. This is a huge crisis that is waiting to explode. I pay for a full coverage plan of medical/dental for my employees, their spouse, and all children living at home. I pay $14,644 per year for a married couple with no kids for their medical, dental, life, disability premiums. It runs about $18,644 for a married couple with children. This is one of our largest expenses in the company I am the director of. I always advocate for keeping the coverage as this is such an incredible benefit. I can only imagine if everyone paid something for their health care coverage how our premiums will go down. This is what needs to be promoted rather than universal health care.

Terry Newton
I agree on everybody needing health insurance, some program that would make it affordable and mandatory. It is not right that we have to pay for everybody who does not have insurance to go and be treated (and treated better in many cases, than we the policy payers are). Something has to give. I am glad I am not the one in charge, because I have no idea how those numbers would work; but the Obama plan (in theory at least) seems to be the best bet to me. The extremely high price of insurance is one of the top reasons the Big 3 are failing to make a profit (I won't go into the unions, as they definitely play a part). I read in interesting article in Time Magazine about this the other day.