Thread: Sleep Issues
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2008, 06:04 PM

Default insomnia and rolfing

great topic... i have struggled w/insomnia since my early 20s. in addition to my pain and discomfort i have trouble turning off my analytical brain to sleep.

like LBP usually Ambien (CR or regular 10mg) and Neurontin (600mg) work well for me (along w/a little vino) and i don't experience any side effects in the AM. the past week, however, has been rough and i've hardly slept at all. i don't get angry when i don't sleep, i just get looooney. of course our bodies can't heal if we aren't sleeping. i've experimented with muscle relaxers and other sleeping meds but no dice. last night i took an Ativan which allowed me to sleep for 6 hrs but i don't want to get in the habit of taking it b/c it's addictive.

sometimes epsom salt baths w/lavender help me sleep. i've also tried teas and the natural supplements like Valerian and Melatonin. I may try 5HTP but i believe it interacts w/some meds.

interesting y'all mention rolfing... i hope it gives you both relief. it's intense! i had two sessions pre-op but couldn't tolerate it w/all i had going on in my body. my osteopath thinks it's too aggressive for me and that it may make my spine worse (and more unstable), but i'm debating giving it a whirl with an experienced rolfer. i wish it wasn't so expensive. the approach makes sense to me and i know people that have benefitted from it.

keep us posted how you are doing with it.

liz
2009 L4-5 Prodisc ADR removed and revised to XLIF w/posterior instrumentation
massive hemorrhage from tear of inferior vena cava at right iliac vein due to adhesion from Prodisc op
2010 not fused; as a result of complications permanent nerve damage to lumbar plexus causing severe rt leg, hip, groin pain

Last edited by Liz; 12-15-2008 at 06:08 PM.