View Single Post
Old 05-13-2015, 07:16 PM

Arrow Hello Everyone! - 3 or 4 level ADR candidate

Hello Everyone,

I'm on the forum because I have researched locally the best doctors in my area, Philadelphia (having a hard time finding a local experienced ADR doc) and so far these have been the suggested standard to manage my issues:
1st ortho - fuse C6/7 (no ADR training)
2nd ortho - fuse C6/7, C5/6, C4/5 (ADR training - stated it was experimental though)
3rd ortho - fuse C6/7, C5/6, C4/5, would be open to a hybrid with ADR (doesn't accept my insurance unfortunately)
4th & 5th neuro - fuse C6/7, C5/6, C4/5 (no ADR training)
6th neuro - fuse C6/7, C5/6, C4/5, would be open to a hybrid with ADR, but feels if a CT scan shows a bone spur it would disqualify me
7th ortho in Germany - 4 level cervical ADR C6/7, C5/6, C4/5, C3/4 with a semi-constrained artificial disc that can correct my kyphosis
Waiting on doctor in Spain's surgical opinion.
The German doctor would cost about $56,000, which I don't have on my own. I'm currently a single, unemployed 41 year old whose parents are willing to assist me in this, IF they agree with it. Ugh. If they had no means to help me I would be forced to get a 3 level fusion soon, as I'm fearing more loss of sensation in my dominant left arm and more weakness. Also if I have a bad fall or car accident I could be paralyzed.
Since they are kind enough to offer to assist me I'm still researching out of the country options. My mother fears traveling abroad at 72 years old and my dad is 74 and skeptical.
I realize this forum is not for medical advice, but I'm looking for experienced people to assist me in this very important decision. I'm fighting hard not to have a 3 level fusion and a future of more surgeries that would have a less and less chance of being successful. I fear loss of function as a single person who needs to make a living to support themselves. If you know of 3 level successful fusions, I would love to hear it. If you know of successful 3 or 4 level ADR surgery I would really love to hear that too. And how to protect myself in doing so. My ultimate goal is to get the ADR surgery, have it covered by insurance by the grace of God and have an excellent outcome. If I convince my family to help me and it goes badly I will feel horrible about it for the rest of my life. Please offer any assistance as it would be so appreciated!! Many blessings to all .