View Single Post
Old 01-12-2007, 03:05 PM

Hello LBP and ZorroSF- thanks for your replies. I will try to explain in more detail...
My husband has been a patient of Dr. Yue's since about June of 2006. At that time, Dr. Yue recommended a 2 level Prodisc surgery for him, but the FDA had not made a decision about Prodisc yet. In August, Prodiscs were approved for one level. Dr. Yue said we could still have a 2 level, with one disc being off label. So we'd have to pay for at least one disc. We could try to get insurance to cover surgery and one disc.

We had a pre-op appt. with Dr. Yue on 10/2/06... this was to discuss his surgery plan and go ahead to schedule a date. We went to the appt. and Dr. Yue then informed us that three days prior, he attended a meeting in I believe Seattle(?) where Synthes, the Prodisc manufacturer, made the announcement that they (not the FDA) were only going to actually allow one disc per patient. This was unexpected to Dr. Yue and other doctors in the US. Dr. Yue said we would probably have to wait another year or more for the FDA to approve two levels, so we asked him to immediately forward Dean's records to Dr. Bertagnoli in Germany.

Sometime after that (I don't know when)Dr. Yue said Synthes changed this decision. We were going full steam ahead with the Germany plan, though, so we weren't in contact with Dr. Yue any longer. That is, until Dr. Yue had to fill out some disability paperwork for my husband recently. Dr. Yue called us when he realized Dean is a two-level patient and told us that it can be done in the US. We can try to get insurance to cover surgery and one disc, but we'll be responsible for the cost of the second disc, regardless. We realize that we will probably paying the entire cost out of pocket though, since insurance companies are just not on board with ADR. The cost given to us for a two level was $70,000. (Last year, we were told by Dr. Yue that the two level would be $54,000, so things sure have changed!)

I hope this info helps you. I'll be happy to try to answer any other questions you may have.
Kim
L4/5 & L5/S1.
-Chiropractic treatment
-3 Failed injections
-Orthopedic Massage
Prodisc Surgery on 2/22/07 Dr. Yue
Yale New Haven Hospital, CT
L4/L5 & L5/S1
Back