View Single Post
Old 11-09-2010, 05:29 AM

I had both lumbar and cervical levels done in March, 2010. Because of severe metal allergies that I discovered last fall, I couldn't have conventional ADR or fusion materials...none were available in North America. I searched for almost five years for a solution to my pain and compression, fighting with insurance and trying to find a good surgeon.

I traveled to Brazil in March to Dr. Luiz Pimenta and had the Nuvasive NeoDisc inserted at C5/6, and also had an XLIF & ALIF at L4/5 & L5/S1 respectively. There is no metal-free lumbar ADR available at this time and I couldn't take the pain anymore. Even if I had the choice, I would still have a fusion at L5/S1 with an ADR in the L4/5 above.

I had significant neurological problems because of cord compression at the C5/6 and some at C4/5. Several surgeons warned that I could become a quadriplegic if I fell or had a small fender-bender. I felt that I couldn't wait any longer and paid for the trip myself out of necessity. But this particular surgeon is much less expensive than most others from out of country, despite his amazing reputation.

I'm happy to say that the surgery is almost 100% successful, with little pain now and no significant neurological problems. None of the previous surgeons believed that the problems could be reversed, just stopped from getting any worse. I feel very lucky.

If you'd like any more information, feel free to send me an email.

L4/5/S1- Mod. narrowing, bulging disc, significant hypertrophy of flava lig.

Highly allergic to all metals.

NEW: 3/16/2010: Successful surgery in Brazil w. Dr. Pimenta; Nuvasive NeoDisc at C5/6, and XLIF & ALIF at L4/5/S1 w. PEEK cages. No rods, screws, plates. Non-metal lumbar ADR not available at present time, so went with fusion.