View Single Post
Old 08-30-2012, 10:21 PM

The Prodisc is also MRI safe, up to 3 Tesla, which includes most "normal" hospital scanners. AFAIK, any brand of ADR will interfere with CT or MR imaging in its immediate area just because of the metallic content.

I can't offer anything on whether the Bryan is better or worse than any other disc, but it is newer to the US market - the Prodisc got FDA approval in 2006, but the Bryan wasn't approved until 2009, so it has some catching up to do.

No idea on how common post-op ossification is, but ask your doc about naprosyn. It's contra-indicated for people that have had fusions as it interferes with bone growth, so we can use it to our advantage after ADR. I'll probably be taking a naprosyn a day for the rest of my life so my C5-6 Prodisc stays happy.

As for being scared - knowledge is power. I researched the heck out of ADR in general, the hardware, and my surgeon and can only hope you do the same. Asking questions here is certainly a good start! As I told my doctor while I was quizzing him, "my neck is literally on the line here" and the more I learned, the more comfortable I was with it. Knowing that he had already done roughly 400 disc replacements over the past 13 years also went a good way to calming my fears.
Oct '08 - Sudden incapacitating lumbar / sciatic pain with foot drop
April '09 - L5-S1 microdiscectomy fixes foot drop and most of the pain
May '11 Hey doc, I'm tired of my neck hurting...
Dec '11 - C5-6 Prodisc-C
July '12 - Neck is still doing well. L5-S1 is "done" - bone on bone
July '13 - L4-L5-S1 TLIF
Aug '13 - C7-T1 microdiskectomy