View Single Post
Old 10-25-2013, 02:37 PM

We had the discogram for my husband yesterday at 4 levels and it was clear and decisive that C5/6 is the bad disc. That's the one that has always looked the worst on the MRI, but without actual impingement or radiculopathy was just too questionable. We meet with the surgeon on Monday to schedule ADR with the prodisc. His pain has been somewhat elevated, but not substantially so since the procedure. Thankful for that!

I'm not sure if I can post this here, but some people have indicated interest in understanding the insurance coverage for the discogram. Here is the cut and paste info from Aetna:

Clinical Policy Bulletin:
Discography

Number: 0733
Policy History Last Review: 11/30/2012 Effective: 08/10/2007
Next Review: 09/23/2013

Policy

1. Aetna considers lumbar provocative discography medically necessary for evaluation for disc pathology in persons with persistent, severe low back pain (LBP) and abnormal interspaces on magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), where other diagnostic tests have failed to reveal clear confirmation of a suspected disc as the source of pain, and surgical intervention is being considered.
    Aetna considers lumbar provocative discography experimental and investigational for all other indications because its effectiveness for indications other than the ones lsited above has not been established.
  2. Aetna considers cervical and thoracic provocative discography experimental and investigational because there is insufficient evidence to support their effectiveness.
  3. Aetna considers functional anesthetic discography (involving injection of anesthestic directly into the disc) experimental and investigational because there is insufficient evidence to support its clinical utility.

It really did cost us $3500 exactly for the test. Unreal. And that was the negotiated cash rate!!!

Pain x 2 years, neck/back/shoulder, non-classic
Discogram concluded discogenic pain at c5/6
Surgery 11/18/13 - Prodisc C