Thread: CMAC - My Story
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2008, 07:23 PM

Thank you everyone who has provided their input. I appreciate the open and honest feedback, and the fact that you can give me an objective opinion based on your own experience. Not that it makes that much of a difference from a timing standpoint, but it has actually been 5 1/2 months since the accident, and here are the issues I have been dealing with to prompt me to make this decision.

1. I have been having an increase in radiculopathy (pain and numbness) in my left arm, as well as daily pain in my neck and shoulders down to the middle of my back.

2. I am left-handed and an artist for a living, in which this injury has been affecting my job performance. I also have to sit a lot in front of a computer and this is the worst position to be in that causes the most pain.

3. I am taking pain medication as a way to manage my pain, but I cannot rely on this, nor do I want to continue having to take medication for an extended period of time.

4. I am still relatively young, with small children and I cannot do what I feel like I should be doing to give them adequate time, because I can barely make it through a day at work and I have to go home and just lie down to relieve my pain. It literally takes everything I have to get through my job each day; after that, I'm spent.

5. I cannot wait for up to 2 years in hopes that it might get better. I need to try to get some normalcy back in my life, not only for myself, but my wife and kids, and my career to support my family.

6. I could wait, but there is also a chance I could cause more damage and the older I get, the more difficult it is to recover from something like this.

I could probably go on, but I think you see what I'm battling with. By no means, do I want to have surgery; but as I weigh my options, I feel this is the best solution, given the circumstances.

I did speak to the Dr. again in more detail, and I was given a little more clarification on recovery. Each person is different and the scenario he gave me is the 'ideal' situation; however, based on the outcome, they will decide whether I need to stay overnight. Also, how I progress after my surgery will be the deciding factor as to when I can return to work and drive. I will just need to listen to my body, stay positive, and stick to the recovery regimen they require. That will give me the best odds of making a full recovery.

Thank you again for the feedback. As you can see from my response, I am most likely destined for surgery. I know this is a decision I have to live with for the rest of my life, but based on how I feel, I feel this is the best option I have.

I certainly welcome any additional opposition or feedback, as I think it is good to challenge my decision... it keeps me in check, and I have always enjoyed a good debate. (just ask my wife!)
2 bulging discs - c4-5 & c5-6
Herniated disc - c6-7
conservative treatments/procedures: meds, PT, 2 epis, positive concordant discogram
ADR ProDisc - C @ C6-C7 May 6, 2008
Paralyzed Left vocal cord - d