Thread: CMAC - My Story
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2008, 06:33 PM

I have to agree that 4 months post injury is not very long. Discs very often heal, although slowly. Of course, I don't know if yours will or not. It may be that there is spinal cord or significant nerve root impingement and your doc is concerned about permanent damage, rightly so. These would be reasons to perform surgery so soon after an injury.

I have 3 Prodisc-C's in my neck and am much better than I was prior to surgery. I'm probably not a good person to compare your situation to. I had a fusion prior to my 3 ADRs, so I've had 4 levels in my neck operated on and waited quite a long time and became very disabled prior to each surgery (thus probably incurring some permanent damage). I still can't go back to work and I'm a year post-op; however, you probably will be able to, although I think 2 weeks is unrealistic. I know another woman who had a one level ADR done 14 weeks ago and she is back to work, but she only worked and works part time, but she is doing well. I don't think she went back to work until 6 weeks post op. As far as the outpatient situation - it is done differently here than in the U.S. Mine was done in Germany. I was in pretty bad shape the day after the surgery and needed to be in the hospital and on the morphine drip for sure but that evening, started to feel a lot better and the following day was able to take a little walk in the forest behind the hospital. I only improved from there. I should think it might be best to at least spend one night in the hospital and see how you are the next day - but it is truly amazing - ADR is so much easier on the body than a fusion, it is absolutely mind boggling.

Hope you get a lot of relief from the surgery - and please feel free to ask me any questions.
Onset of severe fibromyalgia in 6/95, undiagnosed for 2 years while lived in UK
About 1998 o