View Single Post
Old 07-04-2015, 05:10 PM

Default new member - mild symptoms but scary MRI

Hi everyone,

Can't say I'm too excited to be here, but it's great to have found such a helpful resource. Thanks to all who've contributed to this community as well as those who manage it.

My story, so far:

I'm 44, in fairly decent shape, no accidents or sudden back injuries that I recall, except maybe a random fall here and there while snowboarding a few years ago.

I started feeling some tightness in my left shoulder and intermittent arm pain about 3-4 months ago. Went to a GP, who chalked it up to a pinched nerve and sent me to PT. The physical therapist made me to some stretches and exercises to build up my neck and upper back muscles, but after a few weeks it seemed to only make it worse.

At the same time, I realized that maybe my bad posture while working can't be helping, so I set myself up with a standing desk, and started paying attention to how I sit and hold my head while working, using my phone, etc.

Since the PT didn't help, I went back to my regular GP, who ordered an MRI, and referred me to a physical rehab doctor.

While waiting for the MRI, my arm pain seemed to subside somewhat, and turn into more of an intermittent tingling in the hand and some mild dull pain in the shoulder.

Two weeks ago I finally went to see that rehab doctor who had the MRI results for me. I almost fell off the chair when he told me he better go grab the neurosurgeon who happened to be in the clinic at the time to come talk to me.

Turns out I have two cervical disc herniations. At C5-6, the disc is touching a nerve root, which is likely the cause of my left arm and shoulder issues. But the big surprise is a large herniation of C6-7, that appears to be pressing the nerve root on the right, but also putting some mild pressure on my spinal cord. I have no obvious symptoms from the herniation at C6-7 (yet?).

The physical rehab doctor and the neurosurgeon recommend that I have both C5-6 and C6-7 removed and fused or replaced with artificial discs, but primarily because of risk of injury to my spinal cord in the event of an accident or a bad fall.

Since them, I've gotten some more opinions, including from a very experienced and reputable spine ortho surgeon at the well known, university affiliated spine center here in Chicago. He does not advise surgery at this point, given them I have no weakness or numbness, or any other signs of neurological deficit. He thinks this may resolve gradually, but will be showing my MRIs to more spine surgeons at the center for their opinions as well.

My main concern at this point is how much real risk my (currently) asymptomatic herniation poses to my spinal cord. I've read that this "advice" that neurosurgeons typical give (that you're one fall away from paralysis) is somewhat unfounded, based on some studies and the prevalence of asymptomatic and undiagnosed herniated discs in the general population, compared to the actual # of reported spinal cord injuries. But, I also don't want to live with that risk, real of hypothetical, so I have to balance that against the risks associated with any spinal surgery.

I'll get some more opinions, and am doing as much research online as well, including by reading relevant medical journal articles. But, I'm preparing myself for what seems to be inevitable - surgery. And that's why I'm here, to learn as much as possible about options other than two level cervical fusion.

If anyone here has been down a similar road, I'd love to hear from you.

Last edited by dman777; 07-06-2015 at 12:31 PM.