View Single Post
Old 05-12-2012, 10:19 PM

Default Research

In my career as a CNS RN I worked extensively in research facilities both conducting ongoing studies and analyzing data. It os a difficult thing IMHO to remove ego of the inventor as well as the MDs that beleived in drug process or whatever.

In an ideal world we would get tons of solid science devoid of the above. Prior to making my decision on an M6-L 3 level I spent about a year aand a half combing ,medical librairies looking for outcome data and methods of measurement.

There are some brilliant engineers on this site that can speak far better than me as to the method, loads and veracity of the analysis of the data. i went on a much more personal quest..primarily because due to my life exp I am a bit jaded on transperency in all studies US and abroad. I looked for outcome studies that measured not the MDs view of success but the patient and the method and the time frames in which they collected that data.

At the end of the day there just isn't that much outcome in patient satisfaction that is not performed under the companys dollar. I am not sure how else you could fund ot given the apparent lack of interest in the US to date.

There are studies out there that look at patient outcomes utilozing the Oswetry scale and VAS scale...basically are you happy and did you hace a decrease in pain. It is a relatively new surgery so not alot, what I did find was positive and higherer than those who had chosen a fusion.

In the end it is a very personal lifechanging exp. I decided I could read forever and sit on my tush with narcs or take a leap of faith. For me it has been 8-9 weeks and I feel like my old self more and more each day.

Good luck woth the search keep reading you will eventually find a plan

Best of luck

Laurie
2009-facet inj, radiograph ablation, SI joint injections, cryoablation stubborn no relief
2010-retired d/t pain. more injections
2011-IDET of L3-L5. Pain unchanged, up 50 lbs!
2011-Lumbar ADR recommended by Ortho and 2 neuros. In appeals w/ins. May choose Europe for M6
Need to lose lbs