View Single Post
Old 12-12-2008, 01:32 PM

Question 3-level cervical in 2004 w/Dr. Delamarter?

I copied some posts (check below) from the following thread in 2005. http://www.adrsupport.org/forums/showthread.php?t=7827 Part of it pertains to cervical ADR and paulam310 a senior member getting a BC PPO to pay for his surgery. Dr. Delamarter at St.John's, Santa Monica, performed the 3-level 4 yrs ago

I haven't been able to find other posts that explain this. Does Delamarter have special powers, how is this possible? Do insurance companies pay for surgeries before they are FDA approved under "research"?

When I contacted Dr. Delamarter's office in January, 2008, I was told that he could do a 3-level. Had to call the business department for a quote, $140,000 +or - , plus travel and accommodations from Ohio/Calif (the Dr. and device prices had been set, but the hospital hadn't finalized their costs). Also told probably couldn't get insurance coverage since ProDisc-C was only FDA approved for 1 level. I'm on Medicare and BC/BC Anthem as secondary. I had no choice but to choose Germany. Am glad since after discogram it was determined I needed 4-levels. Surgery in Germany cost approx 42,000 Euro's or $67,000 (bad exchange rate of 1.55+ in March 2008) not including travel and accommodations.

Can anyone explain why paulam was able to get coverage way back in 2004 and how could he have gotten a 3-level cervical at that time? There are some 3-level cervicals being done today in Seattle and Santa Monica, with special approvals from FDA. I don't understand? His last post was in April, 2004. Has anyone PM'd him to find out how he is after 4 years. Harrison, is this something you could check for us multiple cervies?

Read today's new threads about cervical costs.
Quote:
My two-level was around $52,000 Seems a little light on the cervical section. Dave
I agree since the quote I got for 3 with Delamarter was much higher. Maybe with more doing the surgery the lower the price? free market working?

Sandy

Quote:

04-29-2005, 12:22 AM
paulam310

I received a 3 level adr 12-7-04, Blue Cross PPO approved me without question. I didn't realize that insurance companies were not approving; I feel like it's awful not to approve such surgeries. Keep fighting 'till you get what you need!

let me try and clarify my surgeries and insurance. I received a diskectomy from Dr. Lauryssen 11-03 at C6. Then I received a 3 level prodisc from Dr. Delamarter 12-04 at C4-7. PPO stands for participating provider organization. I bought the insurance myself as a self-employed person. My first surgery was at Cedars and the second one was at St. John's, both in L.A. which is where I live. Since the prodisc is still in a trial all the discs were free, I believe that is the rule until the FDA approves the disc. Hope that answers all your questions. 05-01-2005, 06:20 PM

I received a 3 level cervical prodisc 12-04. I was the third person in the US to receive it. 05-06-2005, 02:10 AM

Last edited by Sandra L; 12-12-2008 at 01:36 PM.