View Single Post
Old 06-24-2007, 04:10 PM
Administrator

Allan, Trace, thanks for the interesting info and ideas. Let me try to build some reasonably squishy syllogistic reasoning here.

One can be like Sisyphus and forever struggle uphill with the weight of the earth. That is, by way of example, making the Hillary mistake and attempting to make a wholesale change in the insurance system. An idealistic adventure, this is, given the constraints I suggested earlier. So, instead of moving mountains – lets ALL agree on the problem(s):

1. Americans pay a lot of money for healthcare, through premiums and taxes;
2. We have lots of complaints about our health care -- but the issue being debated here is the coverage of artificial disc replacement;
3. Though artificial disc replacement is approved by the FDA (both the Charite’ and Prodisc), most insurance companies will not pay for the procedure. This leaves thousands of paid subscribers in unnecessary short & long term pain and debt.

So, let's develop the specific problem statement, the solution, and take that to the media and Capitol Hill. And we’ve done a lot of this already! As I plan my trips for D.C. in mid July (hot much..phew), I’d like your candid thoughts as to the crisp words that may actually become a bill in congress. Note: I am not talking about one of those dumb, "earmarky" thingies. Besides, these are no longer trendy. If you don't get this, read the paper or watch C SPAN once in a while...

So, I believe most of us agree with 1-3. So, the theme of a future bill before congress (not the bill title) could be:

1. “all surgical spine procedures approved by the FDA must be paid for by insurance…”

as compared to:

2. “all surgical spinal procedures with their associated implanted devices approved by the FDA must be paid for by insurance…”

Option #2 is a problem, as it will invite device companies to potentially abuse the provision (this is America, y’all), so there must be a cost containment benchmark associated with this condition (tricky, actuarial stuff here).

OK, I’m sure I am leading us down a narrow path here folks, but stay with me as we get dangerously constructive. I know there are some great thinkers/writers/analysts on this forum, so let’s do some wordsmithing here. If we work together, Mr. Harrison goes to Washington with a constructive recommendation that may help thousands and thousands of people!

Is that exciting and worthwhile or what?! Get involved!
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate