View Single Post
Old 11-24-2015, 01:26 AM

Default Intro - Calgary, AB - L5-S1 pain

Hi All:

I'm 45 y/o from Canada, currently spending the winter in California. Was leading a moderately active life, practicing hot yoga regularly, enjoyed hiking, gardening and down hill skiing. In 2011 had first onset of lower back pain during yoga. Treated with NSAIDs, muscle relaxants, massage, chiro, physio, inter muscular needling and rest without success. X-rays were normal.

In Dec 2013 paid for MRI which showed moderate degeneration at L5-S1 and modal end plate changes. At the same time got referral to Caleo Spinal clinic. Conservative treatment not effective. Was referred on to surgeon for potential ADR. Currently on wait list for surgery with 6 - 12 month wait.

Current status: as long as I am relatively sedentary the pain is low to moderate. Forward bending, lifting or exercise bring the pain level up significantly. I keep active by golfing a couple times a week (walk the course) and some light hiking.

For pain relief I limit myself to Aleve, heat pads - cyclobenzaprine when pain is bad. Relaxation techniques also help.

I am quite nervous about surgery. Recently tried some limited hot yoga and gardening which brought on a good amount of pain/stiffness and gave me new resolve that surgery is the only option to get Bach into an active life style.

Susanne
Dec 2013 - MRI showed moderate DDD @ L5/S1 - modic type 1 endplate changes - remaining disks well preserved
Jun 2014 - became patient at Caleo clinic
Jan 2015 - first consult with surgeon
May 3, 2016 - L5/S1 - M6 - ADR in Canada (Calgary, Alberta)