View Single Post
Old 09-13-2019, 12:41 PM

Default This is all new to me

Hi Everyone,

My name is John and I teach math and coach swimming. About 6 weeks ago I turned my head and immediately thought I had a kink. Within a day I had major muscle spasms in my upper back, and numbness in my left hand. Since then, the numbness has gone all the way to my armpit, some tingling in my right foot. The Neurosurgeon told me fusion was in my near future. Like most of the posts I’m reading here, it seems as if ADR might be the best thing for me.

I’ve been researching all of this so much, it has consumed much of my free time. Originally, Dr Ritter-Lang’s website/videos was what I saw, but then read many of the posts. It does worry me to travel abroad for this surgery, but I do understand there is more experienced docs overseas. In some of my research domestically I have continually come across Drs. Zigler and Blumenthal of the Texas Spine Clinic, and Dr Frank Philips from Rush in Chicago, Dr Riew from Columbia in NYC as being really good with ADR in the USA. Can anyone elaborate on any of these doctor’s?

One positive of this entire experience is that I feel like I have gained a sense of having far more empathy for folks with issues. I was always the athletic and in shape guy (swim/run/weights 6xweek, former college swimmer), so I really never gave second thought to the issues other people around me were having.

Anyhow, this site seems very informative, which I need since I live in a state that does things backwards. Any advice will be greatly appreciated where to go next, read, etc.