View Single Post
Old 10-18-2007, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cervie queen:
I had a four level fusion about 10 years ago, then one year after the four level, had the hardware removed and the adjacent two levels (one up and one down) were fused. I wound up with a paralyzed vocal cord as a result of the second fusion. It took about a year to resolve during which I had to have speech therapy. A four level cervical fusion is a big surgery and not to be taken lightly. I had four opinions and all four agreed on a four level fusion. I gave it a year of conservative treatment before signing up. I'll be glad to answer any questions you might have.
Thanks for your information. I am looking for another doctor to have a second opinion. I am still able to work--I am a teacher--and am able to manage the pain. I have to take breaks grading papers and being on the computer and get up and walk, stretch. My arms bother me at night--numbing and tingling. My neck is hurting now and very stiff. But my pain has not altered my life, but not completely. My husband is afraid for me to wait because he waited too long for surgery and now has nerve damage in his legs and can only stand for about 10 minutes and cannot walk very far. His life has dramatically changed and he does not want that for me because I waited too long for my surgery and get nerve damage. How bad were you before surgery??

I am looking for a great NS in Tulsa OK--let me know if anyone out there knows of a great one or one I should stay away from.

Thanks for any information, carolynl