View Single Post
Old 04-18-2014, 01:38 PM

Drewrad,
I had an EMG test performed yesterday. The neurologist informed me that while the results were "normal", my neurosurgeon will interpret the data and provide some additional input when I see him next (early May).

BTW, there are two parts of the test. In the first, the technician attaches electrodes to different parts of my legs and stimulates by adding electric current. The second part is where the needles are inserted by the neurologist, without stimulation, and he records the signals under different conditions.

While I generally do not like needles and am quite phobic of them, I found I jumped more from the electrical stimulation where the intensity of the stimulation was consistently increased. I'm certain that I was not the easiest patient.

I was initially told by the doctor that the test will be able to identify the particular nerve root (L3, L4, L5), the chronicity of the problem (whether it is old or new) as well as other useful info (potential recovery). I really don't know yet whether the test provided any info other than to cause pain. And still I have pain/weakness in my legs and back and I know that there is some nerve decompression.

I understand you have a consult with Dr. C next Thu, Apr.24th. Coincidentally, I do to. Are you also paying for the consult? I feel that it is worth it as I am down to the final strokes in making a decision. The last neurosurgeon I met with here advised me that I have a 70% chance of success with fusion. If, I experience a failure (Failed Back Surgery Syndrome or FBSS), the only recourse is pain management for the rest of my life. I was told that even if the surgery is successful on MRI and there are no problems with fusion or pedicle screws, etc., the pain may still be there.

With these types of odds, I am leaning towards Europe & ADR with the potential better outcomes. If ever the problems were not resolved or I deteriorate, I can always undergo fusion at that point.

I hope you are making progress like I am with the analysis & decisions.
2013/2014 – Dessication and significant disc height loss at L4-L5 & L5-S1; L3-L4 disc bulge with hypertrophy; mild spinal stenosis; Grade 1 anterolisthesis (3mm); L4-L5 - marginal spurring and moderate hypertrophy causing neuroforaminal narrowing; L5-S1 - moderate-severe neuroforaminal narrowing; lumbar lordosis is straightening.

New pains & functional limitations in late 2013 led to exploring ADR procedures. Consulted with 8 surgeons domestically and 9 in Europe.
May 2014 – Anterior and posterior incisions in a 5-hour surgery resulted in 2 M-6s and one facet joint prosthesis (dynamic stabilization system). On the road to full recovery.