View Single Post
Old 04-19-2014, 02:51 AM

The EMG was a waste of time, for me. Felt like it was a doctor's way of pretending to do "back stuff" for a patient.

Already paid for a few consults, dr C included. It's worth paying. Take the time to pick their brains.

Two things. As far as fusion and having a 70% chance of success. That may or may not be true, but if you're already sketchy on the L2/3 then fusing the two lower discs underneath will just shred that sketchy one up so much faster. To me that sounds like a non-starter. I'd check that doc right there at the door with a comment like that.

As far as FBSS and a lifetime of pain management, aren't we already there as it is or close to it? The pain will still be there? Well, it's here now so.... My point is making a decision to not have surgery for fear of tragic consequences is also making a decision to have a tragic consequence since you're already experiencing a life of limitations and pain. Ultimately(and slowly) we come to the agonizing realization that the decision is no longer ours. The decision is being made on our behalf, pain is making the reservation, pain forcing us to hit the numbers on our phone to call the docs, pain is screaming at us to wire money for a consult. Meanwhile, life is passing us by, and we, trapped in our pain, like being in prison, eventually must find a way to dig ourselves out and escape. Sure, the waters around Alcatraz were shark infested, but so what? The risks just didn't matter anymore. Life was passing us by. We all crave freedom. When you, as well as me, are ready we will jump in the water and swim, despite the risks, the what ifs and, yes, the sharks.

It becomes more important to live in the end, even if it means to have tried and failed. I admire everyone here. They are brave soldiers. And Henry is so much on my mind! When I think of him, I think of me.

Chronic back pain started in 2010 while shrugging weights that a 40 yr. old shouldn't even try.

MRI in 2012 showing L4/L5, L5/S1 herniations and L2/L3 bulge.

L5/S1 taking on new shape, chronic sciatica, etc.

DEXA bone scan performed 5/7/14 showing mild osteopenia.

Surgery performed July 9th, 2014, Dr Clavel, hybrid three level lumbar.