View Single Post
Old 06-01-2009, 08:46 AM

Just thought I'd give everyone an update on what I have going on.

I can not get in to see a long term pain management doctor. Apparently no one in this area wants to do it long term The doctor I was seeing does, but he's leaving his practice and doesn't know where he is going right now. So I went to my primary care doctor and he put me on the fentonyl (sp?) patch since the hydrocodone wasn't working. Wow, what a difference. I feel normal again. Very minimal pain, on my 4th day of the patches. I haven't had any side affects really, so I've been able to come off of the phenegran I was taking with the oral pain meds. I'm not as sleepy and more alert now! I feel so much better. I also got a water pill for the swelling in my feet and that has helped a lot also. My feet are normal now. I know all this is just masking my problems until I make my decision, but it's nice to be pain free for a little while.

And I have done my research on the patch. I know it's going to be a pain to come off of. No matter what surgery I have, I'm going to start wheening off of it before the surgery and tell them to not put it back on after I have it.

I have 3 doctor appointments set up, 2 local and one in chicago. The chicago one is first on June 19th.. Watch me get 3 different opinions, even from what my original surgeon said...

So here's a question for ya... Do you think it would be alright for me to walk? I wasn't cuz the pain was so bad, but now with the patch the pain is minimal, so do you think walking would be alright for my disc or could it do more damage?
MRI May 5th - showed "moderate sizd protruding disk in the the left paracentral location at the L4-5 level which appears to a more porminent comparison to the prior examination" and "appears to impinge upon the exiting nerve root"
May 11th Dr Apptment - Told that another Discsectemy could be done.

Looking for Surgeon for second Opinion