View Single Post
Old 11-24-2014, 07:12 PM

Antifragile,
It seems like you also did your research, like me. I had been to 8 neurosurgeons in the U.S. and 9 in Europe. The opinions varied a great deal more as I was dealing with 3 levels. I ultimately narrowed it down to Dr. Bierstedt and Dr. Clavel. I had Skype calls with each of them twice.

I was comfortable with both and chose Dr. Bierstedt but feel confident that my outcome with Dr. Clavel would have been equally as good. You really can't go wrong with the professionals with that level of experience. I have not heard of the incident you referred to in Germany but I was able to set up paid Skype with both docs. These "face-to-face" meetings really helped me gain confidence with them.

I did not have problems in obtaining responses in late Spring this year and turnaround time was fine. I found connecting directly with Spain & Germany proved useful rather than going through an intermediary like Ken. For clinical questions, Ken cannot help. I also used an internet phone like magicjack or Skype to be quite reasonable to make calls and speak with someone directly. Malte does pick up his phone (if you allow for time difference) and many of my emails requested Dr. Bierstedt to weigh in. I obtained some emails in German from Bierstedt that I translated using Google to check what Malte told me.

It is all very do-able. The rehab in Germany is also great. You regain a lot before you return to the U.S. Feel free to pm me if you like and good luck with your decision. Once you make it, you will feel a lot better that you are moving forward.
2013/2014 – Dessication and significant disc height loss at L4-L5 & L5-S1; L3-L4 disc bulge with hypertrophy; mild spinal stenosis; Grade 1 anterolisthesis (3mm); L4-L5 - marginal spurring and moderate hypertrophy causing neuroforaminal narrowing; L5-S1 - moderate-severe neuroforaminal narrowing; lumbar lordosis is straightening.

New pains & functional limitations in late 2013 led to exploring ADR procedures. Consulted with 8 surgeons domestically and 9 in Europe.
May 2014 – Anterior and posterior incisions in a 5-hour surgery resulted in 2 M-6s and one facet joint prosthesis (dynamic stabilization system). On the road to full recovery.