View Single Post
Old 11-29-2014, 09:38 PM
Administrator

Question

Folks here know that I am biased against going overseas for surgeries for a litany of reasons. These are but a few below (sorry, I hope it helps).

Professional: My research is unusual, in that I have access to patient outcomes and researchers that have also analyzed and written about the perils of medical tourism. From 2005-2010, I spoke to patients whose lives were ruined by surgeons from Stenum; Malte Peterson in particular. He still has his web goons deploy propaganda all over the internet to manage the PR nightmares, see one of many examples of this judo in action: Stenum Nightmare – The Truth | Disc Replacement Nation

Personal: the sales reps that worked for Stenum (including working for the doctor you seem convinced is the right one) hijacked this web site -- to collect sales leads -- patients. If you have surgery overseas, and have complications, you are (almost) completely screwed because of the way German laws are written to protect doctors – particularly surgeons.

But botched surgeries are not limited to Germany, it happens in every country I am sorry to say. In general outcomes seem to be getting better. But at the same time, more and more patients with "sub-clinical" problems (the causes of degenerative diseases) are getting surgery. And that is a growing problem.

Luckily, most patients with experienced overseas’ surgeons recover nicely. But certain laws, especially in Deutschland, leave you NO chances of suing for damages or getting your surgery fixed. Getting complications repaired is iffy; the process involves begging and often requires additional money. It all depends on who is driving the process: the surgeon or the sales rep. Rarely, the patient is in charge and the surgeons know that.

Even if it was paid for -- do you really want to hop on a plane -- in pain -- and fly back to see the surgeon that compromised your health in the first place? That's the last thing a person in pain needs to reconcile.

The Prodisc and Mobi C are a simpler design with less materials and parts. The Mobi C implant process involves less bone loss -- which is key to reducing blood loss, minimizing heterotopic ossification and healing. Stated differently, cutting a huge keel through the vertebral body weakens it structurally and immunologically, so please be careful about the erroneous assumptions you are making about some rather complex spinal kinematics – that some doctor almost made for you:

“…one of the surgeons at hospital for special surgery in NYC who is involved in the M6 FDA trials (which I don't qualify for) told me honestly over the phone that the M6 is "far stronger" than the mobi-c….”

OK, I am all ears. What the hell does this mean? It’s based on a subjective opinion, right?!

With so many US clinics doing the Mobi C, even for two level, I think it’s crazy you want to fly overseas. Here’s a bit more on the LDR device:

Mobi-C

Finally, please create a signature:

https://www.adrsupport.org/forums/f5...-health-11053/

Again, hope this helps. It’s just my opinion and nothing else.

PS: Of course, all members have access to patient outcomes too in the post-op forum.
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate