View Single Post
Old 02-06-2015, 02:07 AM

Default Allergic to Chromium, Nickel and Cobalt in metal

This odessey started when my right forearm started to pain me in 1998. I thought it was a mild fracture, but wound up with a partial-fused cervical spine due to nerve impingement after going to an orthopedic surgeon, instead of a neuro-surgeon. Not sure that I made the better decision. But will allow the game to play out before I cast the stone. Since the fusion of C4&5 and C5&6, with cadaver bone held together with mesh, a plate and some five screws of titanium I remember being told, I have developed neuropathy in my toes, feet and lower legs. After seeing about eight med docs for the problem, including three neurologists, I underwent another two surgicals for spinal stenosis in Sept 2002 to the lumbar spine that I was told would take care of the problem of neuropathy. It didn't! Only made my bank account smaller and my back weaker. This neuropathy has continued to intensify to where I am in pain and most uncomfortable 24/7. I also have some other symptoms besides the neuropathy and eczema/itching that I suspect are part of this partial fusion with metal parts. My life has become very limited. I want to stay off of my feet. I have been looking for answers.

By accident, I think that I have found the answer, after polishing the chrome of a vintage motorcycle that I bought at an auction in October, and coming down with a good case of eczema/itching. The polish dust probably covered my hands, unthinkingly. That drove me to my dermatologit, who did a 69-item patch test. He found that I am reactive (allergic) in a very positive way to chromium, nickel and cobalt, along with blue dye and yellow dye. Cobalt compounds are added to get blue color many times, and chromate compounds are added for the yellow color. My doc suggested that I study the Internet for what I need to avoid environmentally and foodwise. He mentioned that he had another patient while doing his residency, with the same condition, that upon questioning, admitted to having taken a new job about six weeks earlier at a plant that chromed car bumpers. After taking the doc's suggestion of changing jobs, the patient told him that the problem went away in about five weeks.

Chromium, nickel and cobalt are used to make stainless steel. Our society has gone stainless steel, if you will look around. It is everywhere, even on the dining table with the cutlery. Some coffee makers use a stainless steel carafe with the heat bringing out more chromium/nickel ions from the metal. And one has to consider food also. Chromium is the fourth most extensive element on earth. Plants take it up readily.... and give it to us, readily, too.

A few weeks ago, I did a long drive to a class re-union by myself that gave me much time to think. Thankfully, I remembered that in July 1981, I had a falling accident that fractured my left hip and my left elbow area. Metal plates and screws were used to keep everything together, at least until they healed. The metal screwheads were rather painful I found as I moved around, and touched things against them. However, after some time, that I cannot remember how long, I developed the same neuropathy that developed in later years after my cervical fusion. I had thought that the neuropathy back then was caused by the strenuous exercise that I was doing to build myself back up. Actually, I did not know the word neuropathy or what it meant back then. I didn't learn about it, until I started to see med docs after my cervical fusion for the things that I felt or did not feel in my toes, feet and later, lower legs. I realized on the driving trip recently that that neuropathy of my first encounter went away after I had the metal taken out. Bingo! I thought. At last, I have the answer.

I have written the orthopedic surgeon who put the metal in as part of my cervical fusion. And just yesterday, my wife made contact with one of his assistants. It seems that he will order some tests for me, and we will talk about it. I am very happy that I can hope to be rid of this neuropathy.

I am cautious on account my dermatologist mentioned that American medical doctors are not of the opinion that chromium, nickel or cobalt cause an allergic reaction, but that doctors elsewhere are of the opinion.

I am here at this forum to find out if anyone else may have had this problem of chromium, nickel and cobalt allergy causing neuropathy or eczema/itching, or any other problem. It would seem that many of the "appliances" that are used in spine surgeries might be condusive to creating this type of allergic reaction, if this is true.

And to learn what options I may have doing other spine surgery if the "degenerative spine disease" that I was told in 1999 by the orthopedic surgeon that I have, progresses.

Oh! to make the soup of problems more interesting, I was bitten by a tick and contracted Lyme disease in 2000, that I fought for some ten years. According to one test, I have cleared my body of the borrelia burgdorferi bacteria, and it feels as though I have won that battle. For a long time, I thought that the bacteria were eating on the myelin of my nerves, until I realized recently the connection of my previous neuropathy going away with the removal of the metal from my fracture repairs, and being told of my allergy to the metals. I can no longer blame the lowly bacteria for my trouble.

In 2011, I discovered another possible culprit that might cause the neuropathy. I read the English investigative reporter, Christopher Bryson's 2004 book entitled, THE FLUORIDE DECEPTION. 72% of American water districts put "Hydrofluorosilicic Acid -- HFS" into our drinking water to give everyone the fluoride that has been declared (erroneously) good for us. It may be where many spine problems emanate from. It may be the cause of osteoporosis, with the HFS's lead, mercury, fluoride, and other toxic compounds in it. This HFS is the residue that is salvaged from the wet-scubbers mandated by the EPA to remove the toxins from the smoke that was killing the plants, animals, and possibly people that got caught in the smoke of certain industries. The water districts find it cheaper to add this very hazardous product to our drinking water because it is cheap and contains some fluoride, than add a less toxic product. According to Bryson, the only study to see the effects of fluoride/fluorine on the whole body was done at the Forsythe Dental Lab in Boston, MA circa 1950's or 1960's. They used Beagle dogs. But when the lab found that the fluoride was injurying/destroying the nervous system of the dogs, the lab stopped the test, and sat on the results... until Bryson used the FOIA to get at and publish the results in his book.

I have done a protocol to reduce my accumulated fluoride in my system to a very small amount. And, my neuropathy has continued and intensified. Now, a mean eczema/itching has come forth.

A DEXA exam that I had maybe ten to twelve years ago caused a print out... "according to WHO criteria" of "osteopenia", or some such wording.

But I have now tested positive on a patch test for chromium, nickel and cobalt, which is part, IMHO, of all, or almost all, metal put into our body systems for spine surgeries and other purposes. And, I realize now that when metal parts were put in earlier years, I developed the neuropathy, and the neuropathy then dissipated when those parts were taken out of my body. I hope that my surgeon orders a "metal LTT" test. I would be delighted that it confirms the patch test. My quest might be ended!!!

So! I am studying and learning once more. I want to get rid of this neuropathy before I die.

Thank you for allowing me to learn this new material about the spinal surgeries.
Wishing all wellness!
Old Codger
79 year old, loves to be very active, but am hampered as time goes on. Partial Cervical Fusion in July 1999, C4&5, C5&6; 2 each-Surgicals for Spinal Stenosis to eliminate neuropathy in feet and lower legs-Sept 2002, no help; Neuropathy cont'd for fifteen years; Clue to neuropathy from past history and new found info of allergy to chromium, nickel and cobalt.

Last edited by Old Codger; 02-06-2015 at 03:52 AM. Reason: Make it easier to read by setting paragraphs apart.