View Single Post
Old 02-08-2015, 05:44 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by annapurna View Post
Titanium is actually more chemically reactive than chromium and nickel. I can't talk about the allergenic reaction(s) being a metallurgist, not a doctor.

The worst case for this, of course, would be if your body metabolized the ions or carried wear particles away from the surgery site.
Thank you, Anna (if that is your true name ), for your comments!!!

I would think that being a metallurgist, you might know more about metals than most doctors, about how metals react, which is what an allergy is all about... reacting with other elements or molecules... just within our bodies... forming, in effect, another alloy.

Your third sentence above, explains, to me, why Orthopedic Analysis lab does "particle" testing. Maybe, MELISSA lab does, also? I wondered about that type, "serum particle", of testing! IMHO, that type, "serum particle", of test needs to be done by anyone with metal in their bodies already, versus someone who is comtemplating having an implant.

I have, what was told to me, a titanium plate and screws, from my cervical fusion. My first indication of trouble from them, that I have learned more recently, was a lack of energy. However, by that time, I had been bitten by a tick and had been diagnosed with Lyme disease, also a producer of lack of energy. So, a soup of symptoms was started for me. Once, I was rid of the bacteria, confirmed by a certain test, that lack of energy continued for me. Also, some other symptoms continued, which is what made me continue my quest for the Holy Grill, of a "cure". After some twelve years, a feeling of being "poisoned" in my whole body, came over me, slowly and increased in intensity since. That feeling was and is hard to describe in any other word. I just knew that what I was a feeling was not how I felt when younger. That feeling continues today. Maybe, it is that "poison"... foreign particles to a body... that creates /causes the eczema/itching reaction that is a readily, and acceptable, visible indication that a "poison" may exist within the body, that might be also attacking nerves, to cause my neuropathy.

Off now to find any other labs that might do a metal LTT or MELISSA test. Does anyone know if those tests, metal LTT and MELISSA, are one and the same type of test.... or, how they vary from each other, or any other such type test.

I would love to hear from anybody else that has any verifiable, or professional, evidence that might shed some light on this matter of allergy to metals.

Thanks, Anna, again!

Wishing all wellness!

Old Codger
79 year old, loves to be very active, but am hampered as time goes on. Partial Cervical Fusion in July 1999, C4&5, C5&6; 2 each-Surgicals for Spinal Stenosis to eliminate neuropathy in feet and lower legs-Sept 2002, no help; Neuropathy cont'd for fifteen years; Clue to neuropathy from past history and new found info of allergy to chromium, nickel and cobalt.