View Single Post
Old 07-12-2015, 12:52 PM

Default Thanks for the well wishes

Well, we met with Dr. Hofstetter at UW on Friday. My wife and I both liked him and liked his ideas for treatment. He is opting for a more conservative approach than we had gotten before. He does not want to remove either C5 or C6. His idea is to remove both M6 ADR and to clean up the damaged vertebra, remove all the bone spurs (which there are a lot of), put screws and an anterior plate in C4, C5 and C6. He believes there is enough viable bone in each of the vertebra to position screws to hold them in place. He will also put in something similar to stem-cells and bone-growth material to help the bones grow back and to fuse together, (made sense when he explained it, but I didn't follow all of it well enough to properly relay it here). We will give it a couple months to grow together and see how it is doing. If he is not happy with the bone growth, then we will have to have a posterior cage done in that area, (more painful and longer recovery). So that's the plan for now. Surgery set for the 23rd. Prayers for my wife to get over her bronchitis before that so we can get this done then!

I will try to get some pics of the broken discs posted. Not sure if that is within my computer skill set but will try. Thank you all again for your well wishes and prayers.
Maverick @ L4/5 & L5/S1
Both M6 are broken, found out April, 2015
Both broken M6 removed, C5 vertebral body removed, front and back fusion of C4 to C6, July 2015