View Single Post
Old 11-01-2008, 07:10 PM

Michigan has a ballot proposal for the upcoming election on medical marijuana. I am very opposed to it the way the bill is written. I would not have any qualms for end of life pain with cancer or some other debilitating illness like MS. The way our bill is written is that it could be used for many different things including chronic pain. I am opposed to that due to the smoking issue as it is a carcinogen. The other thing is the last part of the bill says the following:

"Permit registered and unregistered patients and primary caregivers to assert medical reasons for using marijuana as a defense to any prosecution involving marijuana."

This is basically a large loophole that allows anyone who gets caught smoking pot to claim it is for medicinal purposes. It's going to pass with flying colors. Then we will have to hire all kinds of people to monitor the registering of people to use it, watch the physicians who are prescribing it, pay attention to the people who are growing it to make sure they can, also to make sure they are only growing for their own consumption. Tediousness in it's highest form when our State is bankrupt to begin with.

Maybe all drug use needs to be decriminalized instead of legalizing the use of drugs. Treat it as a public health issue rather than trying to control what people put in their bodies. We have become the most incarcerated country in the world due to the failed war on drugs. It is not a war on drugs to begin with as it is really a war on people.

Bottom line is that smoking is bad for you period. Whether you are smoking cigarettes or, smoking pot.

All my humble opinion of course.

Terry Newton
1994 ruptured C6-C7
1995 Hemi-Laminectomy C5-C6, C6-C7 Mayo Clinic
Bicycle Accident 2004
MRI, EMG, Facet Injections, Epidural Blocks, Lumbar Discogram.
Stenum Hospital Surgery November 4, 2006
Prestige Disc C5-C6, C6-C7
Maverick Disc S1-L5, L4-L5