View Single Post
Old 04-15-2018, 06:28 PM

Well, I'm at a stand-still with the doctors in the US. All three neurosurgeons I met with said they do not do lumbar disc replacements anymore since there were so many Charite failures some years ago. All are happy to do a fusion at some point after I satisfy them with a few more months of PT.

Been to two PTs over the past couple weeks who've only made it worse. Going to try one more before giving up on it.

My wife is from Japan and I may have a foot-in to their medical system. If they do the disc replacement in Japan, we may try to have it done there because of the socialized medicine. We might be able to get it done for free, basically. She tells me Japan has some of the best doctor's in the world, so it might work out, I dunno.

All euro doctors got back to me saying that I am a candidate and all are ready to move forward when I am ready. Green light from Dr. Ritter-Lang's office, Dr. Clavel and Dr. Bertagnoli. I would love to go with Bertagnoli, but we just don't have the cash to put up for it. I'm 28 and have no savings, a bunch of debt and trying to work with a screwed up back. Really not sure what to do at this point.

One more shot at PT this week. Possible surgical option in Japan. Would have to take out a large loan to get it done in Europe. Or wait until next year and change my insurance in the US to cover another US doctor who does in-fact do the operation, like Dr. Rolando Garcia in Florida who co-invented the Activ-L.

What about worldwide or international insurance? Does Bertagnoli take any insurance that you know of?

Thanks for the help and advice.
2017 - Blew out my back on leg-press. MRI showed L5-S-1 disc herniation and grade 1 retrolisthesis.
2018 - Successful ADR surgery with Dr. Rolando Garcia using the Activ-L implant.
2019 - In physical therapy for burning in feet, L4-L5 diffuse disc bulge and SI joint pain.
2020 - Getting better with one-on-one PT.

30 - Male - American