View Single Post
Old 06-15-2019, 03:26 PM

Default Considering L4/S1 ADR

Hello

I am kindly asking for your experience regarding these surgeons - Bertagnoli, Bierstedt, Clavel, Desai

I am middle-aged Canadian struggling with disc issues for 25 years. My L4/L5 disc herniated in 2006 and I had a discectomy. The surgery went well and I was ok for about 10 years.

My back took another turn for the worse around 2 years ago - with bilateral leg pain and numbness and new symptoms I did not have before - numbness/tingling/pain in sacrum and perianal. I went twice to emergency concerned with cauda equina which was ruled out. I have seen a surgeon after a long wait (a Canadian standard) and he told me no need to have surgery.
A relative put me in contact with a spine surgeon in Europe that thought he could help - an interspinous implant to distend the foraminal space and stabilize the spine. I had the surgery in December 2017 but did not do anything other than Epidural fibrosis (scarring in the epidural space).

I am close to desperate and not finding the answers. I cannot sit, stand or walk for long. Mostly bedridden with pain and persisting symptoms.

I started exploring ADR and reached out to a few clinics in Europe - Bertagnoli, Bierstedt, Clavel, Desai for a diagnosis - I heard from Bertagnoli and Bierstedt. Dr. Bertagnoli recommended very quickly a 2 level ADR and removal of implants. Bierstedt took a few weeks and he recommended a fusion and 2 level ADR - then just half a day later changed his mind to a 2 level ADR and removal of implants. The cost difference between the two is substantial This exchange left me with a big question mark. Are these surgeons even looking at the case or just a run ADR tourism surgery, how can you possibly provide a diagnosis so radically different in a span of a few hours? I kindly asked for a chance to speak with the surgeon and not surprisingly was declined, I understand their time is limited and need to function via intermediaries.
The stakes are obviously very high for us, patients - in my case 50k EUR and my life on the line, I don't want a run of the mill operation, a hack job living me short 50k EURO and disabled or worse.

I would kindly appreciate if you could share your surgery experience with these doctors or other positive or negative experiences. They promise outcome is 90% positive but from what I hear from the rate surveys and literature is more like 50% leaving aside the surgery risks. Somebody giving you the run of the mill diagnostic will likely not make you better in my opinion.

Thank you
2017 bilateral and sacral pain and numbness, cannot sit
Dec 2017 L4/S1 (2 levels) Interspinous implant (IntraSpine Cousin Biotech) - no result
permanent pain and numbness
Narrow spinal canal, scarring, L5/S1 started autofusing
Implant must be removed, decompression needed
Decision time - discussed with Dr B, Rischke, Desai